What we do not promise manufacturers of shampoos: smoothness, silkiness, glitter, “swelling” split ends, volume, and so on. It’s time to understand how hair works and whether it is possible to achieve all of the above effects with shampoo.
After reading this article, you will choose the right remedy for your hair and will no longer believe in the word not always fair advertising.
A little bit about the structure of the hair
To find a remedy, you need to study the goal! We talked in detail about the structure of hair in this article. We recommend adding it to bookmarks and read.
In a nutshell, the hair consists of several parts:
- Media is a rod inside the hair, which consists of a porous substance resembling a sponge. It can be continuous or intermittent and protects the scalp from overheating and hypothermia. With shampoos and other hair care products, the medulla has no contact at all.
- Cortex is the inner filling of the hair, like a rope. The thinnest fiber in this rope is keratin. Cortex is responsible for the elasticity, strength, and color of the hair.
- Cuticula is scaling that makes up the top layer of hair. In total, these layers are 9-10 – they are stacked on top of each other and create armor for the cortex. These scales are opened when shampooed, making the hair more brittle.
The most important thing to know about the hair structure is that it is a dead structure in which the metabolism is stopped. Therefore, if the hair is damaged, it is impossible to “restore” it, but “restore” quite.
It is a restoration and is engaged in special hair care products! And with the right care, you can prevent their damage – it is easier to do than then glue the broken fragments of 🙂
Let’s find out what damages the structure of the hair:
- Chemical perm or hair straightening.
- Styling with a hairdryer or iron.
- Washing with shampoos (imagine!)
Let’s say at once, if you want beautiful, healthy hair – do not count only on magic shampoos, and especially do not expect an instant effect. The beauty of hair is a long and complex process.
Shampoo Promises VS Reality
Let’s look at a few frequent statements of manufacturers concerning the magic properties of the tool.
Restoring damaged hair, preventing new damage.
From the promised is real, rather the second point – prevention. This is possible due to the enveloping components of the shampoo, which thicken the rod, increase its integrity and reduce porosity, and due to delicate PAV, which does not give such severe damage as SLS and SlES. It is impossible to restore the hair, as we have already said.
Be sure to pair to absolutely any shampoo Conditioner that will smooth out the hair scales opened after washing. And for restoration in your arsenal should be masks and indelible means with keratin and proteins.
Stopping hair loss.
It is certainly impossible to stop the fallout completely, as it is a natural process. Normally, every day a person loses up to 150 hairs. If this number is greater – it is worth consulting a specialist.
Shampoos are quite able to reduce the loss and stimulate the growth of new ones by accelerating circulation.
Those who have faced a similar problem will be suitable shampoos with flax oil, amino acids, coenzyme 10, proteins, B vitamins, carotene. Use sprays, serums, and tonics from the hairline as aids.
The mind-blowing volume even on thin hair.
This effect can indeed be achieved. The problem is that increasing the volume of shampoo components most often increases porosity, reveals scales, and reduces hair hydration. Needless to say, this procedure with frequent use is harmful to hair and then requires a long recovery process.
What to do? Natural shampoos use enveloping natural ingredients, such as proteins, for volume – they do not weigh hair and make it denser.
Get rid of dandruff with shampoo.
Perchlorate is a skin fungal disease that requires comprehensive treatment. Shampoo can only wash off the scales for a while and give a feeling of coolness, which I love to accompany shampoos from dandruff.
To cure the disease will help shampoos with antibiotics, antifungals, for example, with ketoconazole. Shampoos containing selenium disulfide, salicylic acid, decal, zinc pyrite, and clotrimazole will help get a temporary effect. These components help exfoliate, slow down and reduce the number of microbes.
Dander is often confused with an itchy scalp, which occurs as a stress response, malnutrition, aggressive PAW, or other components in shampoo compositions. In this case, the itching will help to cope with the more delicate PAW and soothing skin plant components.
Natural shampoos use essential oils of tea tree and juniper cherimoya extract.
Getting rid of split ends without scissors.
As mentioned above, hair is a dead structure that cannot be restored. And to glue the split tips with shampoo – even more so. At most, you will get a temporary cosmetic effect that will improve the overall condition of the hair. You can get rid of the cut tips only if they are cut – go to the hairdresser!
Natural shampoos for damaged hair are often found: coconut oil, B vitamins, glycerin, chitosan, and natural biopolymer.
But to prevent a cross-section of hair associated with fragility, thinning, opening of scales, add balms and indelible means – creams, serums, vibes, oils.
Strengthen brittle, dull, and heavily thinning hair.
Of course, anti-aging shampoos won’t make your hair younger than 🙂 But they will be able to work on strengthening and brilliance. But here is important a very comprehensive approach – delicate cleansing, the most careful attitude to hair, nourishing balms and serums, vitamin complexes.
Shampoos containing hyaluronic acid, fruit acids, keratin, amino acids, plant extracts, and various vitamin complexes will be suitable.
Use strengthening serums to care for hair weakened with age.
What does hair really need?
Of course, these are not chemical shampoos that create only a visual effect. In fact, even more, damaging hair.
Here are some healthy hair rules:
- Choose soft PAD shampoos that have a more delicate effect on your hair, such as Coco-Glucoside, Lauryl-Glucoside, Decyl-Glucoside, Sucrose Cocoate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Sodium Coco-Sulfate, oils.
- Be sure to use nutritious, restorative balms to smooth out the scales and reduce the negative effects of shampoos and frequent washing. Even when using the softest shampoos, balms must necessarily be the second stage of care.
- Use regular hair masks to maintain a healthy, overgrown length.
- All sorts of indelible oils, vibes, and light creams will help protect the tips from damage, brittleness, and cross-section. Give preference to natural remedies so as not to weigh the hair with silicone.
- Before using a hairdryer or iron, apply more protector sprays or serums.
- Regularly every 2-3 months, trim the tips of the hair.
- If you have a hair loss problem, add special serums and tonics applied to the roots. And also deal with the cause – perhaps in your life a lot of stress or in the body, there was a hormonal failure.
- After procedures such as chemical perm, keratin straightening, lightening, and staining, use sulfate-free shampoos and restoring balms/conditioners with keratin.
Stick to these rules, so you don’t have to look for a magic hair recovery tool. And remember that the condition of your hair should be taken care of by yourself, not manufacturers of shampoos!