How to buy fragrance online when you can’t test it
Choosing a new fragrance online is quite complicated. In this, our Beauty Advisor explains how to find a wonderful fragrance for yourself or to give as a gift to a loved one.
Beauty Advisor Nathalie: “Your smell is a powerful and sensitive sense. Did you know that your nose can distinguish no less than 5,000 different scents? Even the smallest nuances in a perfume are easy to observe in front of you. If you are going to buy a new fragrance, you prefer to sniff it!
First, to properly assess a fragrance, make a selection by smelling scents on a fragrance card or tester. You can then spray your favourite top three on your skin because your skin’s warmth and acidity make the smell develop differently there. Wait at least ten minutes and then decide which fragrance can go home with you!”
Online fragrance shopping
“If you go shopping online, you don’t have that ability to smell smells. But it is also possible to find the ideal fragrance online. Whether you choose one of the latest launches for this winter or go for an absolute classic: if you know what to look for, you will definitely manage to find the perfect match.”
How to find a fragrance for yourself online.
- “In our webshop, you will find a detailed description of every fragrance. The smell itself (and the fragrance notes) and the type of woman or man for which the smell is intended. If the description appeals to you, the chances are that you will also like the smell.
- Fragrances often consist of loads of fragrance notes, but there are always a few that stand out. For example, if you like roses, do you like vanilla or jasmine is really your favourite, then you can look for perfumes in which these fragrance notes have the leading role. Under the heading ‘product details, you will find the top notes, heart notes and base notes of each fragrance.
- Choose a new fragrance from a fragrance family you already know. Is your favourite scent floral, oriental, a water smell or a green chypre? Then you can choose a different fragrance from the same family with peace of mind.
- You can also stay very close to your favourite fragrance and opt for an extension from the same line. For example, all the scents of Chloé have the same floral, powdery notes, but the Eau de Parfum is just a little different from the Eau de Toilette.
- Super handy help in finding your new fragrance is our Fragrance Finder. When you fill in your favourite fragrance, the Fragrance Finder is looking for several alternatives that you will also enjoy!
- Did you know that we can also give you advice online? To do this, use the Go In-Store function on the website. Through a video conversation with one of my colleagues, you can explain exactly what you are looking for. Don’t worry: you’ll see us, but we won’t see you! You will then receive personalized advice. Make sure you manage to find the perfect smell!”
How to find a fragrance for someone else online
- “Do you know what his or her favourite smell is? Then you can take that smell as a starting point when finding a new one. For example, a man who loves the fresh, spicy notes of Cacharel pour Homme will also be happy with INTIMACY Men Classic. For your girlfriend who has been wearing Jean Paul Gaultier Classique for years, Givenchy L’Interdit is a good choice because orange blossom is central to both fragrances.
- A nice idea is to choose a fragrance with an ingredient to which you have nice memories together. Lavender, for example, because that flower reminds you of that wonderful holiday in Provence. Or patchouli, because that spicy smell takes you back to your high school days …
- Sometimes the shape of the vial or the name of perfume also reveals a lot about the person with whom such a fragrance fits. Marc Jacobs Perfect has a cheerful cap with funny charms: the ideal match for your girlfriend with whom you can always laugh. Girls Can Be Crazy you probably don’t give to your mother, but you do give it to your favourite. And Paco Rabanne’s Invictus is a trophy for true heroes.
- If you want to play safe with your gift, you can go for a bestseller; they are so popular for a reason. A lot of women and men have already fallen for this smell. So you are almost certain that such a fragrance will be a welcome gift.
- Our online Fragrance Finder can also help you find the perfect gift smell. Take the fragrance quiz, answer some questions about the person you are looking for a fragrance, and look: you will get a complete list of suitable fragrances. That’s handy!
- You’re not going to get out, are you? Then, of course, you are welcome to visit the store. My colleagues and I are ready to work with you to find that one perfect gift smell!”