How to Apply Coconut Oil to Hair
Beautiful, smooth, healthy, shiny – so dreams to see their hair most of the beautiful half of humanity. Nature is stingy on such gifts, so girls must achieve the perfect curls through trial and error independently.
We tell you more about the properties of coconut oil and teach you how to use it properly.
The benefits of coconut oil for hair
This product is rich in beneficial fatty acids (oleic, linol, myristate, Laurine, palmate, caprice, Capron, stearine, etc.), vitamins (A, E, D3, PP), and trace elements (especially a lot in oil phosphorus, zinc, copper, sodium, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium).
Most of the coconut oil contains lauric acid, which, unlike many others, deeply penetrates the structure of the hair and affects from the inside. Coconut oil is rich and linoleic acid: it prevents moisture loss, increases elasticity, elasticity, and thickness of curls, returns a healthy and beautiful look.
Coconut oil has emollient, soothing, moisturizing, antioxidant, antibacterial, regenerative, antiviral, and antimicrobial properties.
Thanks to the nutritional composition, coconut oil:
- smooths the hair along the entire length;
- nourishes and moisturizes curls and scalp;
- Stimulates the growth of healthy and beautiful hair;
- strengthens the roots, heals the tips;
- Increases the elasticity and elasticity of curls;
- Restores the structure of the hair;
- seals and thickens the hairline;
- struggles with dandruff;
- Destroys fungal microorganisms;
- relieves itching;
- Prevents the loss of collagen and stimulates its production;
- fights inflammatory reactions of the skin;
- Protects cells from the negative effects of the environment;
- removes toxins and toxins;
- Accelerates the healing of damaged tissues;
- protects from injury when combing, styling, washing hair;
- Creates a protective film on the surface of the hair that effectively protects against the harmful effects of UV rays;
- makes curls obedient, facilitates combing.
Which coconut oil is better for hair?
Unlike refined coconut oil, unrefined coconut oil has a pleasant, subtle aroma and costs a little more. If the remedy has a pronounced nutty aroma, it means that it was heated and lost most of the nutrients. It’s better to stay away from such oil.
Be sure to pay attention to the kind of push-up. It can be cold and hot. In the first case, the oil is extracted directly from the pulp of the coconut, in the second – boiled coconut milk, which is first squeezed out of the pulp. The priority is cold press (look for “virgin” on the label); the oil obtained with it retains all the beneficial properties.
Like other oils, coconut is recommended to be used together with other components. So you will strengthen the action of the products and get a great result, comparable to salon care. Refined oil is not forbidden to apply on oily hair, while unrefined – it is impossible. It will only strengthen the effect of salt. The refined product is also recommended for high susceptibility to odors, sensitive skin during pregnancy, and lactation.
What to look for when choosing coconut oil?
- The manufacturer. The most popular manufacturers are Indonesia, India, the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka. On them and focus when buying the funds.
- The line-up. The best option for care is pure oil without synthetic impurities, silicones, and dyes. At the same time, natural products may be present additional extracts to enrich the composition. If the product is indelible and protective, almond oils, jojoba, broccoli, and others can be added. This makes the use of oil more comfortable in care after washing.
- Consistency. Coconut paste is solid (Coconut butter) is more difficult to use for hair, but it is easy to turn liquid, lightly heated, or rubbed in the palms. Fractional coconut oil is liquid, there are no antioxidants, but all the necessary fatty acids are present. The fractional product is somewhat inferior to the unrefined product, but it can also be used for hair care.
- Naturalness. If the organic origin of the product is important to you, please note the presence of certificates USDA Organic, ICEA, Cosmos, BDIH. Such oil, as a rule, is more expensive and contains the maximum of useful substances. But natural coconut oil may not have these markings, and at the same time, be of good quality.
How to use coconut oil?
Coconut oil refers to penetrating oils, which means that it is advisable to use them before washing the head.
The first method is to apply 2-3 drops of the means on slightly wet strands, carefully distributing the entire length. Before use, it is recommended to heat the oil, after application, put on a plastic cap, and wrap it with a towel. After 1-2 hours, thoroughly rinse the product with shampoo.
The second is to leave the coconut oil for the whole night. It is not recommended to leave the oily product to girls with chalked or bleached hair at night: the remedy will make them darker or yellower.
Different type of hair reacts to coconut oil in its own way. The product is not a panacea for all problems. Coconut oil will suit owners of dull, weakened, brittle, dry, thin hair. If your curls are thick and dense, it is better to give up the coconut oil, as it will only weigh, cause loss and brittleness.
If you are the owner of a fatty type of hair, prefer a refined product, and do not apply it on the scalp: the sebaceous glands will work more actively, cause the bonding of strands, tidiness, and inflammation. Ideally, it is better to mix coconut oil with components that will help wash it off. Do not overdo the number of treatments: oily hair can be pampered with oil once a month.
Other uses of coconut oil
- Protection from ultraviolet light. Going to the beach in the city or on vacation to the sea brings a coconut oil bottle. Apply it to protect the curls from ultraviolet light. So you get rid of dryness and brittleness, as well as keep the brightness of the color.
- Enrichment of cosmetic masks. Leave the mask on your hair as much as you need, then rinse thoroughly using shampoo.
- As flushing of paint, wash the hair with the usual shampoo, apply enough coconut oil (depending on the length), evenly spreading it over the hair. The curls must be completely covered with oil. Otherwise, the paint will come down unevenly. Put on a plastic shower cap and wrap with a towel. Leave for 2-3 hours or overnight. Rinse with shampoo, and be sure to apply balm. If the paint is not washed away, repeat the procedure.
- Natural lamination. The procedure is not complicated; it is carried out once every 7 days. Before the procedure, thoroughly wash the hair with shampoo, then wrap your head with a warm towel for 2-3 minutes (repeat the manipulation 5-7 times). This will help to extend the pores of the head. Use an unrefined product for lamination. Brush your hair with a frequent comb. Divide the curls with your fingers, apply the coconut oil on each strand, spreading along the entire length. After application, massage the scalp. Put a plastic cap on your head, wrap it with a warm towel. To enhance the effect, heat with a hairdryer. Exposure time is 30-40 minutes. Wash your hair with regular shampoo.
Coconut oil can be applied to both dry dirty hair and wet hair. The first option is preferable. If you overdo it with the remedy, you will still need to wash your hair, so there will be no effect of salting. When applied to wet hair, the oil will not fully absorb and reach deep layers. Water will prevent it, so the curls will not get maximum nutrients.
How to use solid coconut oil for hair?
The product has two states – liquid and solid. This does not mean that any of them are substandard or fake. If you put the coconut oil in the refrigerator, it will harden. If put in a warm place – it will turn into a liquid. When the product has hardened, it is recommended to melt it – so it is more convenient to distribute on the hair.
How to apply coconut oil to brunettes?
To increase the saturation of the color, add freshly brewed coffee (proportion 1:1). Spread the entire length of the hair comfortably, put on a cellophane cap, wrap with a towel and wait a few hours. As soon as the time is out, rinse your hair with regular shampoo.
Can I use coconut hair oil for blondes?
Blondes often face the fact that the hair begins to crumble, look lifeless, dim, and lose elasticity. To restore the weakened strands, mix the buttery product (2.5 tbsp) with the mashed avocado and banana (pre-whisk the fruit in a blender). Apply the finished mixture along the entire length of the hair, insulate and leave for 1 hour. Once thoroughly, rinse the curls using shampoo.
How often can I use coconut oil for my hair?
- For normal hair – 2 times a week;
- For badly damaged hair – 3 times a week;
- as masks – a course of 15 procedures, followed by rest for 2-3 months.
Coconut oil for hair styling
Distribute a small amount of the tool (3-4 drops) along the entire length of the curls, including the tips. Hair will become obedient and more malleable to styling. Boldly experiment with hairstyles! If you need styling stronger, add coconut oil to any means for styling: it will smooth the curls and make them obedient.
Why does coconut oil dry your hair?
As we wrote above, coconut oil refers to penetrating products, its molecular composition is minimal, so it penetrates the strands. Getting into the hair structure, the oil retains moisture inside, preventing penetration from the outside. Another option of dryness when used: switch from synthetic balms to natural remedies. Cosmetic products contain silicones that fill the voids. Coconut oil helps to wash out silicone, causing dryness. This phenomenon is temporary. We will have to wait for a little until the coconut oil accumulates in sufficient quantities in the structure of curls.
Coconut oil for dyed and discolored hair
The product restores hair well after the aggressive intervention but washes out the dye faster. Do not leave the coconut oil on the curls for longer than 30 minutes to prevent this from happening. Avoid insulation. Wash off the product with shampoo for dyed hair.
Coconut oil in the treatment of dandruff
Mix 2 tsp coconut oil, 3 drops of tea tree essential oil, 2 drops of lavender essential oil, and thyme. Apply the resulting mixture to the clean scalp, massage lightly, put on a cap, and wrap with a towel. The exposure time is 20-30 minutes. Rinse the product with a non-sulfate shampoo.
Coconut oil is an effective tool for improving the appearance and health of hair. It is great for dry, brittle, damaged hair, prone to frequent styling and washing. Apply the oil is advisable until the hair is cleansed with shampoo. This will help strengthen the structure and protect against new damage.
Also Read: Coconut Oil For The Body